Tasting Room Talk – The Red Daily Slosh

13 Oct

The Third Debate?

In the event that a tape, which may or may not be out there, becomes public, I’d like to make the following statement.

Let me say that I’m not proud of what’s on the tape. It happened when I was much younger and represents tasting room talk. Tasting room talk that’s all. I apologize to anyone that I’ve offended and my intention is not to objectify wine. I have wine bottles in my basement, my friends have wine bottles, my wife has wine bottles, some of my best friends are wine bottles and I wouldn’t want anyone to talk or think about them in that way. I’m truly sorry.

It just keeps getting better and better doesn’t it?

seghesioThis weekend the LCBO is releasing some heavy hitters from Piedmont and some California stalwarts. Have only had one of the lot – the 2014 Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel #942151 $29.95. This is one of my favourite Zins and this vintage doesn’t disappoint. Spicy, rich, anise goodness. And, although it’s a typical Zin with higher alcohol levels (14.8% ABV), it doesn’t carry any heat. Beautiful Zin.

baldiosAlways some Iberian wine to talk about. Popped the cork on a bottle of the 2009 Baldios Crianza #366393 $19.95. Still holding strong. Despite being only a Crianza, this is full value. Age has imparted richness, knitted it together to bring you a balanced palate – smoky, cherries, and vanilla. Love it!

Staying in Spain, the 2013 Torres Altos Ibericos Crianza #381046 $16.95 is a nice sip. Not as round or full as the one above, it’s great sipping wine with snacks. It too is smoky and brimming with Tempranillo fruit. This is what I’d call straight up Rioja – no mystery. It just delivers.

leponnantWhen I’m not loitering in Spain, I like to drink wines from the Southern Rhone and Provence. They reflect their neighbourhood better than most. And, I love the hood. The 2014 Le Ferme du Mont Le Ponnant Cotes-du-Rhone-Villages #171371 $19.95 is one of the better CdR-Villages that I’ve ever had. If you like your CdR’s big, brawny and brimming with dark berries, this is for you. This is very full-bodied and fruity – some scrubby/herby elements. Great effort and good value.

gravityTaking my seasonal journey to the Niagara Peninsula in the next few weeks and, as always, I will drop in to Flat Rock Cellars to see what’s up. Their 2013 Flat Rock Gravity Pinot Noir #001560 $30.25 is arriving this weekend. Flat Rock, Tawse, Westcott, Queylus and many others down there, make exquisite Pinot. This one is special in it’s consistency year after year. Floral up front, red fruits on the gurgle and earth on the finish. Just a lovely, lovely wine. Wish that I’d had some for the turkey last weekend. Perfect match.

aspresQuick shout out. This month’s Wine Enthusiast featured the 2014 Gerard Betrand Grand Terroir Les Aspres GSM. Gave it a score of 91 “Dense, generous ………and robustly fruited”. I recommended the 2013 and it is still available – so that’s 2013 Gerard Bertrand Grand Terroir Les Aspres #413245 $18.95. My review here.

I’m off to the Grand Marchi at the Royal Ontario Museum next Tuesday. Sipping and regrettably spitting some of the better Italian wines from many of the boot’s best producers (Antinori, Gaja, Mastroberardino, Chiarlo, Donnafugata, San Guido, Alois Lageder………), chat up the winemakers. Can’t wait. I’ll report on the experience in the future.

Royal Ontario Museum

Royal Ontario Museum

Cheers.

Bill

11 Responses to “Tasting Room Talk – The Red Daily Slosh”

1. Michelle Williams October 13, 2016 at 9:56 am #

Uh-oh. Does said tape involve white Zinfandel?

Enjoy your upcoming tasting! Can’t wait to read about that! *swallow the Gaja.

• Duff's Wines October 13, 2016 at 2:37 pm #

Thanks. Truth be told, I’m probably swallowing a lot of them.
      And yes, it does involve White Zinfandel. It’s such a tease.

2. Marty Thrasher October 13, 2016 at 12:10 pm #

Scrubby!!!??? That's a new descriptor. It's a beaut.

3. topochinesvino October 13, 2016 at 12:27 pm #

Fantastic post! Then again, anything that starts with Monty Python is bound to be fantastic. I’ve had all of the above wines except for the Flat Rock. I agree with your tasting notes and scores. I bought a case of the Gerard Bertrand recently via online auction and the case price was impressively low. Have had several bottles so far and very happy with the quality. Since you like wine, you may enjoy our wine country blog: http://www.topochinesvino.com. A Napa/Sonoma foucs (that’s where we live) but we were just in Oregon last month so some reviews of several wineries there, plus heading to the Balkans next week for some new wine experiences.

• Duff's Wines October 13, 2016 at 2:40 pm #

I read your blog and quite enjoy reading about your visits. I travel to Napa and Sonoma vicariously. And I, like you, don’t waste posts on things that i don’t like. People prefer to read stuff that is directionally positive rather than just a nitpicking commentary. Keep it up. The Balkans? Should be fun.

• topochinesvino October 13, 2016 at 2:52 pm #

Thanks for the comment! We’ll be posting during our trip so stay tuned. Actually starting in Venice then heading to Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, serbia and Bosnia.

4. Dave Jansen October 13, 2016 at 12:59 pm #

Brilliantly done. Great Blog. Shot a 85 on Tuesday. That lesson you gave me must have worked.

5. talkavino October 14, 2016 at 9:24 am #

Nicely done, Bill. I hope nobody will ever find my tapes… The things I’ve said… And those which I didn’t, might be even worse…

• Duff's Wines October 14, 2016 at 2:47 pm #

Thanks Anatoli. I just hope they don’t find a tape of me lusting after a Mateus.

6. thewineraconteur October 14, 2016 at 7:24 pm #

I guess that I am lucky that most of what I did was before electronics, so I will just remember the wines and maybe a small sparkle in my eye for things that happened long ago.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Punkins and Porcupines – The Rainbow Daily Slosh | Duff's Wines - October 27, 2016

[…] $17.95. This is not to be confused with the red from this producer that I recommended last time here. This is their everyday wine. But, it doesn’t cheat in size or interest. Great value CdR that […]