Memories of Le Piat d’Or

31 Oct

memoriesI was zoning out the other day. It’s kind of what I do most days – don’t tell Arlene. Can’t really remember what it was that was catching my fancy but all of a sudden a name came back to me – Kressman Selection. Now, as many a scribe has said – wine is liquid memories. God, I like that. And Kressman is a big bunch of liquid memories. Then I started to remember all those brands, long forgotten, that always seemed to be there at memorable moments in my life. See if you too remember any of these:

Colli Albani

Colli Romani

Le Partager

My favourite – Le Piat d’Or

A Canadian staple – Maria Christina (came in a box which made the party that much more fun). Actually they were all super-sized and had another thing in common – they were cheap and were from somewhere other than here – very sophisticated. They started me on my way to wino-hood. Thanks for that.

And, if we set the way back machine a little further back (hell, I must have been underage then, right?):

Blue Nun

Black Tower

Cold Duck

Castelvicho (sic)

Oh yeah, my home made elderberry wine – brand name – Screech and Porch Climber

These liquid beauts are full of memories in name only let alone if I sniffed, swirled, slurped and swallowed them again. But, I think I’ll pass. I’ll let others grab those memories.

I’ve got lots of less distant memories too that have wine right smack dab in the middle of those moments.

So the question is, “What wines are going to be my memory wines from current times?” The great thing is that I don’t know until it happens. But, if I had to guess; it probably will start with my next one and be much more about family, friends, music, food – than the wine itself. Long live Kressman Selection! Bring on the weekend and make some winey moments of your own!

BTW, what are your memory wines?

9 Responses to “Memories of Le Piat d’Or”

1. Shannon November 1, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

Kressman and Partager – from when I was waitressing….FINE DINING and not old enough to drink……….wow…..

• Duff's Wines November 1, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

Trying to make me feel older than I already do?

2. the winegetter November 1, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

So well said….the best wines are enjoyed in company!

• Duff's Wines November 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

Thanks for dropping in. Yes, I’ve had some Buck Five Come Alive (or whatever would be the current phrase – Two Buck Chuck?) with friends that made a better memory than second growths that I’ve had. All because of the company! Drink Up! BTW, I wouldn’t mind picking your brain. I have my niece coming over at Christmas from Germany and I want to get her and her beau a couple nice Rieslings – preferably from here for comparison. I can probably get a suitable Niagara but thinking about another maybe US one.

• the winegetter November 1, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

To me, it is the reason why wines always taste so good at wineries, it is the company with winemakers, the atmosphere, the excitement…

You should have her bring you German Rieslings as well, I can send you some tips on that…

First off, German Rieslings just depends on what you can get. Why don’t you send me a list of wines that are available to you?

Regarding local Rieslings, I have been very impressed with Brys Estate from Michigan, also Black Star Farms makes very tasty stuff. The Finger Lakes have been really good in my experience if you go with the right winemakers. Dr. Frank, naturally, but I have also liked Knapp, Glenora and Lakewood. I have not tried Ravines, but they are supposed to be great!

• Duff's Wines November 1, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

Thanks.; Will start to do my home work and suggest they bless me with some of their juice. I like our Niagara Rieslings but only the dry and medium ones. I haven’t had a medium sweet one yet that wasn’t flabby. They aren’t that knowledgeable and last year brought a 2010 Battenfeld Spannier Konigsklasse. I couldn’t find anything about it on CellarTracker. I’m thinking – they’re young and asked a merchant for a suggestion in a price range and something that wouldn’t be over here. I haven’t had it yet.

• the winegetter November 2, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Where are they coming from? I can give you some suggestions what they should be looking for. It seems like they at least a bit of an idea. Battenfeld Spanier is one of the up and coming big stars, really, so their choice wasn’t all that bad…with a lot of the second tier wineries from Germany, it is really hard to find them here in the US, and consequently in Cellartracker. I had to enter most of my holdings manually because no record existed…:)

The Battenfeld Spanier indicates they are from my home region, so I am sure I can come up with something….:)

• Duff's Wines November 2, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

They live just outside of Nuremburg but he is from some place near Freiburg.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Way Too Early Holiday Edition 1 – The Red Daily Slosh | Duff's Wines - November 7, 2013

[…] must have hit a nerve with my last post on the early days of wine drinking. Many people responded with their ‘go-to’ wine from the […]